What gaskets do you recommend for sealing doors and windows?
In winter, we don't have to be plagued by icy drafts, and not matching or warped doors and windows need not be a necessary evil. There is a very large selection of gaskets and you will surely find this type, which is suitable for windows and doors in our apartment.
Low cost, you can significantly increase the comfort of living and reduce heating costs. There are two basic types of seal.
It consists in pressing a rubber band into the gaps between the window or door frames and their frames. The seals have a self-adhesive back, sheathed with a paper strip, and sold in rolls at a time 5-10 m in length. They are stuck to carefully cleaned and dried surfaces.
1) Thick sealing tape. It prevents moisture and dust from entering the apartment. It is used to seal doors and windows, e.g.. in greenhouses and cars. Can also be used as a replacement seal in refrigerators. Seals gaps up to 5 mm in width.
2) Glossy sealing foam, washable surface. Suitable for sealing gaps 1,5-5 mm.
3) P-shaped waterproof rubber gasket. It is used to fill gaps 3-5 mm.
4) E-shaped waterproof rubber gasket, designed to fill narrow gaps 1-2 mm.
5) Soft nylon gasket for securing 2-5 mm of gaps. It can be used for vertically sliding windows, by attaching to the top edge of the top window, the lower edge of the lower window and from the inside to the middle frame.
6) Thin plastic gasket for gaps 1-4 mm. Transparent, elastic tape, which is assumed to be complex, and she, expanding, fills the gaps.
7) Flexible rubber gasket, its tubular part protrudes from the edge of the frame and is squeezed when closing the door or window. This seal is visible. The gasket is applied to the gaps 1,5-5 mm.
8) Tubular waterproof reusable sealing tape, for seasonal sealing of window doors. It is pressed into the crevices in the fall, and it removes in summer.
Brush seal and sill protection
Nylon brush seals are used to seal the sliding windows and the lower edge of the door. Doors and windows slide smoothly along the bristles of such a seal, yet the brush sticks tightly to the frame or jamb When sealing the door, the brush seal is attached to the jamb, so that the brush is lightly pressed against the door surface. When sealing vertically sliding windows, it is attached to the sides of the frame at the upper window from the outside, at the bottom from the center, so that the brushes adhere to the sliding windows, the upper and lower part of the frame and the middle frame are secured with a nylon gasket.
The sealing of the lower edge of the door made of plastic can be used regardless of the type of floor covering. A door brush seal is useful, especially if the threshold is worn, and its irregular edge. The external sill seal eliminates drafts and prevents dust from penetrating. Vinyl gaskets adhere to the sill, while the top vinyl arch hugs the door.
Unused windows can be completely covered, along with the doorframe, with plastic wrap, obtaining thermal insulation without the insertion of a second pane. Double-sided adhesive tape connects the foil to the window frame.
How do you know if the flexible seals have been fitted correctly?
They should be placed on the correct part of the jamb or frame, so that closing| the window or door squeezed it properly. On the hinge side, the seals are placed in the frame groove, so that the edge of the door or window presses against it when closing. On the remaining sides, you need to fix them, to the frame, so that the inner surface of the door or window presses against them. Please note that different gaskets are suitable for different sizes of gaps.