The building and related devices should be designed and constructed in a manner ensuring a fire:
- load capacity of the structure for the assumed time,
- evacuation of people,
- conducting a rescue operation and limiting the spread of fire in the facility and to neighboring facilities.
Buildings, their parts or rooms, due to their function, are classified as endangering people:
- ZL I - public utility buildings or their parts, where people can stay in groups of over 50 people,
- ZL II - buildings or their parts intended for use by people with reduced mobility, e.g.: hospitals, nurseries, before school,
- ZL III - schools, office buildings, student houses, boarding schools, hotele, health centers, open medical clinics, sanatoriums, commercial premises–service, in which he can stay until 50 people, barracks, ECA premises, prisons and other similar facilities,
- ZL IV - residential buildings,
- ZL V - archives, museums and libraries.
Depending on the fire load or the human hazard category, five fire resistance classes of the building have been established, in order from highest to lowest and marked with letters: A, B, C, D i E. The required fire resistance class for the building, included in one ZL category, specifies an array.
Required fire resistance classes of buildings.
Minimum fire resistance
R - fire resistance (in minutes), determined in accordance with the Polish Standard on the principles of determining the fire resistance classes of building elements,
E - fire integrity (in minutes), determined as above,
I - fire insulation (in minutes), determined as above,
(-) - does not require any requirements.
1) If the partition is part of the main supporting structure, it should also meet the criteria
fire load capacity (R) according to the requirements contained in col. 2 i 3 for a given fire resistance class of the building.
2) The fire resistance class applies to the inter-story strip with the connection to the ceiling.
3) The requirements do not apply to roof skylights, fireflies, dormers and roof windows (subject to § 218), if the openings in the roof slope do not occupy more than 20% its surface.
4) E l is required for the walls of the chute chambers 60, and for the doors of the chute chambers - E l 30.